NABJ is committed to the following:
* Strengthening ties among black journalists;
* Sensitizing all media to the importance of fairness in the workplace for black journalists;
* Expanding job opportunities and recruiting activities for veteran, young and aspiring black journalists, while providing continued professional development and training;
* Increasing the number of black journalists in management positions and encouraging black journalists to become entrepreneurs;
* Fostering an exemplary group of professionals that honors excellence and outstanding achievements by black journalists, and outstanding achievement in the media industry as a whole, particularly when it comes to providing balanced coverage of the black community and society at large;
* Working with high schools and colleges to identify and encourage black students to become journalists, and to diversify faculties and related curriculum; and providing informational and training services to the general public.